EXAMINATION FOR TEENAGERS
HOW TO GO TO CONFESSION
For Teenagers ages 13+
- The Priest will greet you.
- The penitent says: “Bless me, Father, for I have sinned.” You then say how long it has been since your last Confession.
- The penitent tell the priest this sins and briefly answers any relevant questions.
- The priest will give you some advice and will assign you a penance.
- The penitent will next pray the Act of Contrition (See prayer below).
- The priest then gives the penitent absolution.
You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only shall you serve.
(The first commandment teaches us to put God first in our lives.)
- Did I deny God’s existence?
- Did I refuse to believe God’s revelation as taught by Scripture or the teaching office of the Church?
- Did I believe in or use horoscopes, fortune telling, good luck charms, tarot cards, Ouija boards or reincarnation?
- Did I deny I was a Catholic? Did I abandon the Catholic Faith for any period of time?
- Did I despair of or presume on God’s mercy?
- Did I neglect prayer for a long time? Did I fail to pray daily?
You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
(The second commandment teaches us to speak carefully, to respect the power of our words, and to say only what we mean to say.)
- Did I blaspheme God or take God’s Name in vain, curse or break an oath or vow?
- Do I joke crudely about the Church, God, Mary, the saints, or other holy things?
- Have I talked about others with respect and reverence?
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
(The third commandment teaches us to take time to worship God regularly and frequently.)
- Did I intentionally miss Mass on Sunday or on a Holy Day of Obligation through my own fault?
- Am I always reverent in the presence of the Most Blessed Sacrament?
- Was I purposefully inattentive at Mass? Did I carelessly arrive late to Mass? Did I unnecessarily leave Mass early?
- Did I do unnecessary work on Sunday?
- Did I fail to contribute to the support of the Church?
- Have I failed to educate myself concerning the teachings of the Church?
- Did I fail to receive Holy Communion during the Easter Season? Did I fail to confess my mortal sins at least once a year?
- Did I receive Holy Communion in the state of mortal sin?
- Did I make a bad Confession by deliberately not telling all the mortal sins I had committed?
Honor your father and your mother.
(The fourth commandment teaches us to appreciate and respect our parents and those in authority.)
- Did I disobey or disrespect my parents or legitimate superiors?
- Am I too critical of my parents? Did I do things to upset my parents on purpose?
- Did I do my chores immediately when asked without complaining? Do I seek to help my mom and dad around the house?
- Am I obeying and honoring those in place of my parents, such as teachers and principals?
- Do I skip class? Do I behave well in class or do I play around? Do I lie to my teachers?
- Do I keep my patience or do I lose my temper?
- Have I been selfish toward my parents, brothers and sisters, teachers, or my friends and schoolmates?
You shall not kill.
(The fifth commandment teaches us to appreciate and respect the gift of life.)
Did I contribute to anyone’s abandoning to the Catholic Faith?
- Was I impatient, angry, envious, unkind, proud, jealous, revengeful, hateful towards others or lazy?
- Did I give bad example, abuse drugs, drink alcohol to excess, fight or quarrel?
- Did I physically injure or kill anyone?
- Have I had an abortion, advised, or supported an abortion?
- Did I participate in or approve of the grave evil known as “mercy killing” or euthanasia?
- Did I attempt suicide or physically harm myself?
- Have I hurt anyone’s reputation by deliberately spreading rumors or keeping rumors alive by passing them on?
- Did I stand up for those who are bullied or ridiculed?
You shall not commit adultery
(The sixth commandment teaches us to respect the gift of our sexuality and the gift of marriage.)
- Did I respect my future spouse by being pure and faithful now? Did I perform sexual acts with anyone of the opposite or same sex?
- Did I deliberately look at impure television, internet, plays, pictures, or movies? Did I look at pornography?
- Did I perform impure acts by myself (masturbation)?
- Did I dress immodestly or provocatively or act in a way in order to incite lust in others?
- Did I use impure or suggestive words? Did I tell impure stories or listen to them?
- Did I do things to make my boyfriend or girlfriend jealous or angry?
You shall not steal.
(The seventh commandment teaches us to respect private property and the rights of others.)
- Did I steal, cheat, help or encourage others to steal, cheat or keep stolen goods? Have I made a restitution for stolen goods?
- Have I cheated on my tests, quizzes, or homework at school?
- Am I putting forth my best effort in my studies, work, or chores?
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor
(The eighth commandment teaches us always to speak the truth and never to say more than is necessary.)
- Did I tell lies? Deliberately in order to deceive or injure others? Did I commit perjury?
- Did I share things on social media that go against the teachings of the Church, especially in regard to the sanctity of marriage between one man and one woman, the dignity of sexuality, and dignity of human life?
- Did I gossip or reveal the faults or sins of others? Did I fail to keep secrets that should have been kept?
You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife.
(The ninth commandment teaches us to appreciate the relationships God has given us.)
- Did I willfully entertain impure thoughts or desires?
- Was I uncharitable in thought, word, or deed?
You shall not covet your neighbor’s things.
(The tenth commandment teaches us to find happiness where we are and to be grateful for what we do have.)
- Have I forgiven those who have hurt or harmed my loved ones or me?
- Am I envious of others? Do I wish that others be deprived of the goods or talents that they have? Am I jealous of others?
Act of Contrition
O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee and I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of Heaven and the pains of hell. But most of all, because they offend Thee, my God, Who art all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to confess my sins, to do penance and to amend my life. Amen.