UPDATE: MARCH 23, 2020
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
Based on Governor Whitmer’s “Stay Home, Stay Safe” Executive order which calls for “directing all Michigan businesses and operations to temporarily suspend in-person operations that are not necessary to sustain or protect life.” Therefore, I am making the following mandates:
- All diocesan offices will be closed. All work will be done from home and all diocesan phone calls will be transferred to the homes of the secretaries.
- All of our parishes in Chicago and Detroit starting tonight must close their offices. It is non-negotiable. The only exception is the hired person who is dealing with the elderly in our senior homes at Mother of God and Holy Martyrs.
- All funeral Masses have been cancelled. View the latest update from March 25, 2020, regarding conducting funerals.
- All baptisms and weddings should be canceled except for emergencies set up the family and at the priest’s discretion. NO MORE THAN 10 CAN BE GATHERED.
- All liturgical gatherings cannot have more than 10 people per place. That includes deacons, clergy, choir, and staff taping the services ALL not to exceed ten (10) people. This is non-negotiable.
- We have just received a directive order from the Catholic cemeteries that any Coronavirus related deaths will be buried without family, and it will be direct burial and without clergy. Only the funeral director and cemetery staff will be present.
- Church doors can be open for people to visit but up to the pastor’s discretion and not more than 10 people can congregate at a time.
Our hope is in the Lord during these difficult times, and we are united always in prayer to God.
May God Bless You,
Most Rev. Francis Y. Kalabat
Bishop of St. Thomas the Apostle
Chaldean Catholic Diocese U.S.A.